Memoirs of an ESL Career

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Prologue

I must really like blogging: this is my fourth blog.

Actually, I've been thinking a lot over the past few years about creating a document of my experience as an ESL/EFL instructor. This career has taken up most of my adult life and led me to unforeseen places. Sometimes it's been good, and sometimes bad (really bad!). On the whole, however, it has been a pretty good experience.

As I contemplate what I wish to say in this little corner of cyberspace, I think I ought to categorize my memoirs. In particular, I could focus on some of the native teachers I have met (herein after known as "expats"); I should talk about the fun experiences I've had; and I simply must vent my frustrations over some of the bullshit I've faced in a career allegedly related to education.

But perhaps this little blog will be a chance for me to reflect on some of the important decisions that I've made that have led me to where I am, and where I will be going. Afterall, my ESL career is but a stepping stone to the next great experience... whatever that may be.

On the off-chance that anybody who I've worked with ever reads this, you will probably understand me to a tee. If you happen to recognize yourself in any of the stories I tell, try not to take it too seriously... unless I've written something horendous about you... in which case you probably deserve it!