Memoirs of an ESL Career

Friday, April 27, 2007

Post-script

Also known as "It was a Wonderful Career."

Last week was my final one as an ESL teacher. It turned out to be a nice little send-off. It began on Saturday, April 14th, when my foreign co-workers (and a few other friends) came to dinner at Lamerce, a Mexican restaurant near Samsung Plaza in Bundang. Besides treating Heather and me to food and drink for the evening, they also surprised me with some seriously thoughtful gifts. First, Cam, Travis, and Jeremy presented me with an all-expenses-paid weekend in Seattle at the end of June to see the Blue Jays and Mariners. Two games, great seats, and spending money -- it was exactly the kind of gift that I could fully appreciate. Thanks, guys!

Second, Rachel, Matt, and Sam made a funny card to remind me of the fact I was going back to Canada, and then gave me an envelope. Inside was $225 in Canadian bills. Fantastic, and far more than I was expecting when Rachel mentioned there was a little start-up fund inside that envelope. Needless to say, I was quite moved by the generosity of my JLS friends.

The surprises continued into my final week of work. First, Mr. Shin, our team manager (that's what they called him, anyway), put up a poster that said Goodbye Phillip, and as the week progressed, many students put up letters to say goodbye to me. Some of them even claimed to "love" me. Frankly, I was kind of stunned by it all because I didn't think they thought that much of me. Of course, many did it just to be nice, but even that was surprising, and appreciated. By the end of the week, there were lots of these notes on the board, but even more meaningful to me were the faces of some of the students. Some looked genuinely sorry to see me go. Kids can be pretty good actors, of course, but I'd like to think that maybe I did mean something to them in the time I was at JLS.

On Wednesday, JLS had a going-away party lunch for me. And on Friday, a few of my Korean co-workers (of whom I haven't said nearly enough about in this blog) gave me gifts and expressed some sadness that I was leaving. I found myself hugging Soo-ah and Michelle on my final night, and just before my final class began, Mr. Shin gave me an envelope. Inside was a crisp new Canadian $100 bill. Cool.

As I walked toward my final class, I wondered if I would experience the same kind of emotion that I had felt nine years earlier when I completed my last class at Global, which was a sudden wave of sadness that my career would soon be over. I noticed that the lights were off in the room, so I walked in ready to be showered with some kind of surprise. Sure enough, the kids jumped up, fired birthday crackers, and presented me with letters and a cake. We had a party, and we watched Mr. Bean one final time. Then it was over.

I found that I wasn't quite as emotional about the end this time as I had been back in 1998. I knew what to expect this time, so I was able to control it. However, I had a different feeling this time that I had to deal with: the knowledge that I was soon going to be leaving Korea and would be on my own, without wife and kids for the next couple of months. On Wednesday night, as I walked to Wa Bar to meet Jeremy and Cam for our final beers together, the lonely walk immediately cast a premonition-type feeling around me. I would soon be walking alone in Vancouver, waiting for my family to join me in the summer. Then, on Friday night, my absolute final get-together with friends took place, as I met Travis, Rachel, Matt, and Charles (my former student) for drinks. I kept it short -- only one beer. And then I put on my jacket and said, "Well, that's the first step." I looked at my friends, and we all smiled. Travis simply said, "Go." I hugged each and every one of them, thanked them for everything, and then left.

The next day, Saturday April 21st, was the day I left Korea. My wife and two daughters joined me for a McDonald's breakfast. Later, we went shopping for some sunglasses (it was a beautiful day), and I picked up the last of my belongings at JLS. Then we drove to the airport. It was an emotional ride, as my daughter Renee began to cry. And that made me tear up. At Incheon Airport, we had one last meal with Heather's family. Then I had to quickly go to make it through customs and get to the airplane. I figured it was going to be very difficult to say goodbye, so I resolved to make it quick before any emotional meltdowns occurred. I hugged and kissed my daughters, and I told them they would be coming to Canada real soon to join me. I shook my brother-in-law's hand, gave Heather's parents a hug, and then gave Heather a quick hug and kiss. With a lump welling up in my throat, I simply said, "See you soon." She nodded, and then I waved goodbye to everyone and quickly went through the doorway leading to customs.

In the end, in spite of the negative feelings I had been experiencing over the last couple of years in the job, I now transition to a new phase in my life knowing that I had a wonderful time in Korea. I made many close friends and taught thousands of kids. I met my wife here. Had two children. Travelled to many countries. Experienced the World Cup. Earned a master's degree. Received a black belt in hapkido. Learned a little bit of Korean, although not nearly enough for having spent a decade here. I really couldn't have asked for more.

But I have now moved on. Writing this final post from my hotel room in Vancouver, I have already begun my new experience. And in all sincerity, I hope to use this ESL Memoirs blog as a jumping off point for my writing career. Wonderful memories lie within these posts, and that is the greatest reward of all for me.


Good-bye JLS